Friday, March 4, 2011

Anthem Lights EP Review!


THIS IS JUST THE EP REVIEW. YOU CAN VIEW THE FULL LENGHTH ALBUM REVIEW BY CLICKING HERE. Thanks!
Anthem Lights is a new pop/rock band recently signed to Reunion Records. The band was formed in 2007, when Alan Powell and Chad Graham joined creative forces to write songs for Chad Graham's solo album. However, as they collaborated, they began to see God's bigger plan. The songs just seemed meant for a group. Soon, Liberty University students Caleb Grimm and Kyle Kupecky joined the band. Their debut EP as well as their forthcoming album (dropping May 2011) was produced by the Write Brothers, aka Seth Moseley and Juan Otero. How does their debut stand out in a industry covered in pop/rock artists? Let's find out.

 The EP starts of with the single, "Can't Shut Up". As the track starts off with a neat intro, it gives you a sense of anticipation. Within seconds a fun, catchy vocal and music mix catches your attention. "I had a heartbeat, I was breathing, and I kept going  and going without a reason, I was living to just be living, until He really gave me life.", are powerful lyrics that start off the lyrical message. This song is a powerful anthem, about how we "Can't Shut Up" about what God has done for us! "We got to break the silence, we've been quiet for too long" is a true message of many churches and youth groups in this hour. This is a strong song lyrically, as well as having a great pop feel. There is no "lead vocalist" in Anthem Lights, and I find it refreshing to hear different soloists.

"I Wanna Know You Like That" is next, and talks about wanting to give all to God, and to know God like David and other great people of God. "To live, to love, with everything I am, to give it all, I wanna know You like that, to become a man after your heart, and not look back." truly expresses the heart these guys have for the ministry. A song with strong vocals, great message, and fun music, "I Wanna Know You Like That" is sure to become a favorite among pop fans.

We're nearly to the end of the EP, and "Can't Get Over You" slows things down. Is it just me, or does it seem nearly every artist in the business slows things down for the third track? Just something I noticed....anyway, back to the review! This song is a passionate song of thanks to God, with lyrics that speak of God's great love, how He loves when we don't deserve it, and how He's changed our live. The chorus speaks of how after all God has done for us, we can't get over it! It's a beautiful song which is probably my favorite off the EP.

Lastly is "Circles" which has become a favorite among the Rock and Worship Roadshow audience. Another slow tempo song, hits the issue of how we as Christians can go in circles, one minute in, and one minute out. This song really speaks to us, and it challenges us to be committed to Christ, with ALL of our hearts. This is by far the best song on the EP, and if you could only choose one song from this album, it should be this song! Besides the amazing lyrics, Anthem Light's vocal talent really shines through.

This is a strong debut from Anthem Lights, and I can't wait to hear their full album in May. This EP has strong lyrics, good pop music, and talented yet diverse vocals. I kept hearing a voice that slightly reminded me of Billy Goodwin from NewSong, and it turns out it's Caleb Grimm. So if you think you're hearing Billy Goodwin, you're not!

If you like pop music with a bit of a rock edge, Anthem Lights is for you. Their lyrics are strong, and they have some amazing talent. Be sure to pick up the full album in May!

Rating: 4.5/5 stars.



Check out this video of a day in the life of Anthem Lights:

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE these guys! Thanks for the great review! I'll have to go buy the album. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! These guys are fun and amazing! I met them in Lubbock at the Rock and Worship Roadshow...on my birthday! :D I highly recommend them! <3 'em! :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. HeY,
    I LOVE Anthem Lights! I got to see them at the Rock and Worship roadshow and they were great! I am totally buying the album! great job! :)

    ReplyDelete