Saturday, April 23, 2011

Product Review: Skullcandy Smokin' Buds

After my wonderful BackBeat Plus earbuds finally gave out after heavy use for over a year, I found some Skullcandy Smokin' Buds on sale, so I exchanged a horrid pair I had bought earlier for them. How do they compare to other earbuds?

My skullcandy's set me back about $20, which isn't a lot for a pair of earbuds. I really like the styling of the Smokin' Buds, with a flat wire that is supposed to help lengthen the life of the earbuds. The really neat part is that the wires are two-toned.
The outside wires are black, but the insides are blue, so it looks really cool. If you're familiar with Skullcandy, you will know their trademark as a skull. I find it a little freaky, but, I needed earbuds. The overall design is very eye catching, as you can see.

However, I found it nearly impossible to get the proper fit necessary for good bass response. I tried all three ear tips, yet all of them seem to fall out of my ears. It could be the way the blue piece on the end of the earbud sticks out, or maybe I just have odd sized ears. :P I find myself constantly pushing the earbuds back in. Although when they do fit correctly, the bass response is pretty good.

The overall sound quality is decent, but not near as good as the BackBeat Plus earbuds. They have a very "average" sound quality, with ok bass and decent highs. If I listen to albums with a lot of bass, like Lecrae, I don't get near the bass response I did with the BackBeats. I would recommend buying the BackBeat Plus or even the BackBeat Titanium for about $5-$15 more. You can read a review of the BackBeat Titanium at my friend Mike's blog. The sound quality is much more superior to the Skullcandy Smokin' Buds.

Overall rating: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment