Saturday, February 12, 2011

"Don't Waste Your Life"

  One of my favorite songs is "Don't Waste Your Life" by Lecrae. I love the challenges that are made in this song, and I wanted to do a devotional with this theme. I'm not a terrific writer, but I just wanted to share this with you.

What is your goal in life? Do you desire a nice house, good job, and a perfect family? There's nothing wrong with wanting those things, but a lot of times we desire them more than we desire to make our life count for God. We start out on fire for God, burning with a passion to see things happen for God. But, time passes and life takes a turn. You're left sitting on a church pew, drawing on the offering envelopes, living a casual Christian life.

 God is always looking for someone to do His will. In Isaiah 6:8 it says,  "Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me." I know not everyone is called to be a preacher, missionary, or pastor, but we are all called to spread the Gospel. Mark 16:15 says, "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." All the world includes your town. Don't be afraid to witness to those around you.

 "I don't have the talent or ability to do anything for God".  Have you ever read Corinthians 1:27? " But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty....That no flesh should glory in his presence (Vs. 29)." I once heard a preacher say, "God doesn't call the equipped, he equips the called." God doesn't need your talents! That may sound a bit odd, but it's true. God needs your willingness. His name is glorified through your dependency on Him.

 "I'm too young." 1 Timothy 4:12 " Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity." You are never too young to do something for God! Before I was a teenager, I had gone to Mexico and the Philippines on mission trips. God uses young people! Look at David, Josiah, Daniel, and Esther! There are many more examples in the Bible of young people being used of God. Don't rely on the excuse of being too young. 

 How can you make your life count? Do something for God! Don't be content to sit in your church pew every Sunday. You can witness by speaking to people directly about Christ, and by your actions. Volunteer to help with a Sunday School class, help out with your church's nursing home, prison, homeless shelter, or hospital ministry. Go on mission trips. Ask God to give you a willing spirit, and to be available for Him to use. All God needs is a willing heart.

 I want to encourage you to really pray about being a witness to those around you, and to just be available to God. I'd encourage you to read "Do Hard Things" by Alex & Brett Harris." Please don't sit on your pew and expect someone else to do what God has called every believer to do. Don't waste your life.



1 comment:

  1. What an excellent post! Very though provoking. And, Lecrae's song "Don't Waste Your Life" is my favorite hip-hop song. :)
    -Mike

    ReplyDelete